Friday 1 February 2013

Balmy Beach Canoe Club (BBCC)

As February arrives, I am very happy to accept a new position with the Balmy Beach Canoe Club (BBCC) as their new Dragon Boat Coordinator.  This position was previously held by Heather Smith who made a big impact last year with her re-organization of the dragon boat registration and support process. Heather has a young son at home and also lives in Burloak area that is far west from BBCC. She decided to step back a little and focus on her growing family and her teaching job. I very much wish her all the best, and I hope she is able to squeeze some paddling into her schedule in the area closer to home.  As I worked with Heather last year for my Rusty Dragons teams and other teams I supported, I can't say enough good things about what Heather did for both us and BBCC.




This year signals a change in direction at BBCC. They have decided to begin developing their own dragon boat programs and work on a new model for the use of the site by all sports. I am very happy that I have been entrusted to be part of the team that will work on that restructuring and development work. BBCC will have two of their own boats at their facility for the first time. 

The OPS Dragon Boat Club who previously had their boat there will be moving their boat to another location in April. I had brought the OPS boat to BBCC and drafted a mutually beneficial MOU 6 years ago after we had to leave Outer Harbour (when GWN left that site). BBCC certainly thanks the OPS DBC for their years of support and use of the site.

There are many great people at BBCC, which is why I have enjoyed working there at the site, and working with the Dominion Day Regatta Association (DDRA) for whom many members are from BBCC. Their Commodore is Anne Buckley, Treasurer is Gaynor Reader, Rear Commodore Dave Moore, head coach Peter Martinek, high school program coordinator Sara Jones, past Commodore Rob Cook, Master's Coordinator Shannon Doyle, and many others I have been fortunate to know.  I am very excited to start working more closely with BBCC.  




Last year I also signed up for Masters program where I got my first taste of sprint kayak (I raced in a K2 on Canada Day), and war canoe. I have a new appreciation for the skill and balance needed for these sports (and I already knew it was difficult). I am sure there will be more for me here! I am also looking for opportunities to introduce others in dragon boat world to these sports through arrangement of try-outs for those interested.

Kids are especially welcome to join the BBCC and learn to paddle sprint canoe, kayak, war canoe, or dragon boats. See their website at http://www.balmybeachcanoe.com/ for more information as well as contact details. For dragon boat information, you can contact me at Tim@RustyDragons.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment